Saturday, November 26, 2005

First post!

Once upon a time, I tried the whole blog thing. It didn't pan out. Let's give it another go, then!

I'll be talking games here, mostly. Game ideas, game design, game whatever the hell I want to talk about. I'm going to try and keep it more on the theoretical and critical side than going on about how cool games are. This leads us to the first Editorial Principle of this (Hey, folk, I need a better word for "blog." You know, something that doesn't make me sound like an asshole. Until then, let's just pretend that word's in here, kk?).

1: VIDEO GAMES, LARGELY, ARE TERRIBLE


They certainly can be fun and interesting diversions, but that does not imply they are. The majority of offerings at Ye Olde Game Shoppe aren't worth playing. Maybe this is just the song of a life-long gamer who's falling out of love with it all. Maybe there's just no place in this world for a man who can't enjoy the simple pleasure of artificial genocide in a fantasy world, pretending to be an Orcish Paladin. Maybe I just can't come up with any more wistful reflections.

Besides games, I'll waffle on about whatever else is interesting me that second.



Elsewise, I've lately been interested in emotional simulation by computers. Not necessarily the visual aspects, but the creation of characters who display active emotional lives. I've been tossing some ideas around on how to make this, but I don't know if they're remotely viable for one man, no matter how handsome, well-hung and brilliant, to make, or even if I could find references on AI and AL. I don't think that their nonexistence prevents games from being true ARt (art with a capital A and R, that is), but that they do serve as interesting and recognizable elements for larger systems of games.
And I don't count Sims. I never really saw them to have personalities. They engaged in emotional mimeisis and all, but they had only the barest of personalities, defined mostly by whom they fraternized with and some other matters of social interaction, or by some overarching Life Goal. But then, I never got too deep in The Sims, so I don't know how accurate that is.

-Wondersaurus Fantabulorus

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sucks.

Saturday, November 26, 2005 1:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't read your blog but it's a pile of shit.

Saturday, November 26, 2005 1:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home